Center for Integrated Area Studies (CIAS), Kyoto University
International Visiting Scholars Program
Announcement and Application form
The Center for Integrated Area Studies (CIAS), Kyoto University welcomes applications for its International Visiting Scholars Program for the period April 2011 – March 2012. The period of residence in Japan is from three to four months.
The purpose of the CIAS International Visiting Scholars Program is to provide opportunity to foreign researchers to pursue research work strongly related to Area Studies, while staying at CIAS, Kyoto University. CIAS also expects that this program will promote international exchange and cooperation among those who are interested in Area Studies.
In agreement with Kyoto University regulations, CIAS reimburses travel expenses for one round trip from the home-location to Kyoto and provides a monthly living allowance. Foreign visiting scholars are facilitated with office space and necessary office equipment, administrative assistance for obtaining visa, health insurance and others as needed.
For the period April 2011 – March 2012, CIAS is looking for two experienced researchers who are interested in themes as follows:
○ Inter-regional studies of socio-political processes
The candidate should be specialized in Area Studies focusing on socio-political processes, and has ongoing or planned activities for inter-regional research on this subject.
○ New perspectives of usage of research materials and/or development of databases for Area Studies
The candidate should have interest in the use of various research materials, including CIAS Library collections, and/or database building for Area Studies.
Applicants must submit the following documents in English by mail or by e-mail:
• A completed Application Form. [Please download from here]
• Curriculum Vitae with a list of publications.
• One letter from the applicant’s resident organization and one recommendation letter. These can be sent directly to CIAS printed or electronically by recommender. If sent by the applicant by mail, the letters should be sealed in envelopes by the recommender.
Your application should arrive at CIAS not later than 12:00 (midday, of Japan time) May 17, 2010 and should be sent to:
Section of International Affairs,
Center for Integrated Area Studies, Kyoto University
46 Shimoadachi-cho, Yoshida, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 606-8501, Japan
E-mail address: email@example.com.